So why do cats urinate outside the box?
Well, it could be caused by any number of things. Here are 10 of the most common reasons cats urinate outside the box:
1. The litter is dirty
2. The box smells bad
3. The box is too small
4. The box smells like harsh cleaning chemicals
5. You don't scoop often enough
6. They don't like the kind of litter you're using
7. The litter is too deep
8. The litter isn't deep enough
9. The box is in a noisy location / they have no privacy
10. You don't have enough boxes (you need at least 1 box per cat)
If your cat is urinating outside the box because of an odor issue, it can be a tough problem to solve. That's because once your kitty starts urinating in a spot outside the box, he will continue to do it over and over again. The smell just naturally draws him back to that spot (just as it does when he sprays to mark his territory).